The Feminist In The Room.. My Introduction.





As I lay there butt naked on my bed, with an anxious English bulldog and a cat who doesn’t  give two shits about anything. I couldn’t help but identify with both of them in that moment.

That's the exact moment that I found feminism.

Okay, so you may be thinking right now where the hell is she going with this?
Trust me, I thought the same thing.. so let me take you back a bit to catch you up.

The past few weeks have been my idea of hell (or whatever is beyond that). If overthinking and stressing was an actual career I could make millions by now. I’ve gotten to that point in my life where I'm now betrayed by my own decision making skills.

I want to have my own voice and be bold like every feminist or activist i’ve read about. But everything I’ve been thinking or doing or even thinking of doing seemed completely out of reach. Why? I am trapped by my own mind, thinking maybe I couldn't achieve anything fulfilling as a career.

On one hand, I'm in a semi good paying job that allows me to live slightly above comfortable. I can do things like have “edgy” hair, buy fake tanner and eat fancy vegan cheeses. Oh and paying off my life crippling student debt.

It seems everything I want to do involves going back to school in some way, or needs years of experience. Am I happy in my job now you ask? Can anyone be happy selling their souls in the Hotel California that is mall retail? “You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave”. I digress..


I'm sure you're wondering when does my anxious bulldog, terrified of the world and my cat come in to this story? Well, like my furry friends I have always been scared of what life could throw at me until I discovered feminism. I don’t know about you, but once I got deeper into feminism, it suddenly started clashing with how I felt about my own job. I felt stuck in the middle of a patriarchy sandwich at work and even within my own life and choices I’ve made. It seemed no matter where I turned, hiding around the corner was patriarchy.. the greatest obstacle I never knew I’d have to face. There was, and always will be someone telling me what to do or say, and even how to look or be myself. How does one escape that, who already feels like they have the smallest voice in the room?

My main career goal in life is to be a activist, social worker one day work for non profit, and even write. In my mind they fit together like a beautiful little career puzzle. You know the ones that people actually want to spend time on? They’ve poured their heart and soul into it, put it on display and sit there for hours oooing and aahing at it? Yeah like that. So here I am, the feminist in the room. on my way to dive deeper into feminism, and pour my heart out for myself and for the readers! (That’s you!).

Here you’ll find my thoughts on certain topics with a feminist light, and my journey through it.

Let’s smash the patriarchy one post at a time!
X   







Want more? 

Visit My Blogs For
The Warrior - Me v PMDD






*Image Credit 
  Sina Shangrai


Comments

Popular Posts